Health Benefits of Wu Long Tea
Research studies on the health benefits of wu long tea (also referred to as oolong tea) reveal the brew’s potential to reverse signs of aging, facilitate weight loss, and promote overall wellness.
While all teas possess similar properties including caffeine, catechin, polyphenals, and teaflavin tearubigin that provide benefits to the human body, the quantities and percentages differ depending on the extent of oxidation during production.
Therefore the health benefits of wu long tea, which is semi-fermented, vary from those offered by green tea with its limited processing and black tea with its extensive oxidation process.
Following are some research studies that point to the health benefits of wu long tea consumption.
- Scientists from Japan's University of Tokushima School of Medicine found that people who regularly consumed oolong tea experienced more than twice the calorie-burning results compared to those who drank green tea.
- A study published in the Journal of Medical Investigation found that women who consumed wu-long tea directly after a meal increased energy expenditure by 10%. This compared to an energy expenditure of 4% for green tea drinkers and 0 for water drinkers.
- Researchers at the Suntory Research Center in Osaka, Japan found that drinking wu long tea 15 minutes before eating foods high in carbohydrates curbed rises in insulin, thus reducing some of the fattening effects of carbohydrate intake.
Better Skin Condition
- Researchers from Japan's Shiga University of Medical Science found that drinking wu long each day helps to clear up skin problems within one month.
- Dr. Kenichi Yanagimoto and colleagues from the University of California found that people who drank wu long tea on a daily basis experienced a fifty-percent reduction in free radicals within 15 days.
Free radicals are damaging substances in the body that contribute to signs of aging, including wrinkles and dark spots that are caused by ultra-violet rays, chemical food additives, pollution and stress.
Stronger Immune System
- A study by the Department of Dentistry at Japan's Osaka University showed that regular consumption of oolong tea strengthens teeth and helps prevent tooth decay by inhibiting the build-up of plaque.
While the results of these and other studies are promising, you should always talk with your doctor about adding wu long tea or other varieties to your daily diet for medicinal purposes.
- According to a study published in Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, test subjects who consumed wu long were found to have stronger immune systems and a reduced risk for infections.
Health Benefits of Green Tea
Black Tea Attributes
More on Health Benefits of Wu Long Tea
Return to Learn About Tea Home Page